Staff Software Engineer, Forwarding Applications
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
Flexport is a platform for global trade in an industry that comprises 12% of the global GDP. We are the first licensed freight forwarder and customs brokerage built around a modern tech stack. We help the world's fastest-growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving products between any two places on the planet.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating the new operating system for global trade.
The Ops Tools team is responsible for building the services that freight forwarders use to move goods around the world. We study the work that people do in freight forwarding, develop software and processes to make it more efficient, and ultimately automate much of it. The role involves learning the business of freight forwarding, modeling the work that people do to move freight, designing solutions to make it more efficient, and automating much of it. As a Staff Engineer, you will be responsible for architecting and leading projects that cut across multiple teams. You will be a mentor for other engineers and will help define the long-term roadmap for your team.
We are looking for engineers who love learning, are passionate about collaborating, and desire to build solutions with a global impact. This role will be located in San Francisco, CA.
- Craft the architectural strategy, and own the technical landscape, for a major domain in the world of logistics that powers global trade.
- Design systems that represent the real-world intricacies of logistics entities, such as cargo, routing, customs, and pricing.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Geek out about shipping and logistics. (We do this often.)
- You play a significant role in the career development of others, actively mentoring and educating the larger software engineering community on trends, technologies, and best practices.
- Model business processes to ingest costs and variances, understanding root cause, analyzing discrepancies, automating remedies / disputes to detect and stop financial leakage.
- Design simple solutions to onboard partners to broaden financial visibility coverage. Create services to automate business processes and consolidate them into central logic hubs.
- Drive data accuracy architecture and improvement loops through various subsystems.
What you’ll build:
- Determine, in real-time, the cost to move freight between any two points in the world.
- Automate archaic filing processes and save the operations team thousands of phone calls per week.
- Deliver supply chain insights to logistics teams via a world-class analytics experience.
- Predict capacity on container ships and match cargo to space on those ships.
- Bring trade to everyone in the world.
You should have:
- 8+ years of experience writing software, and a strong engineering background.
- Experience building large scale, high-performance systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment
- Knowledge of at least one programming language such as Ruby, C, C++, Java, or Kotlin
- 5+ years of design and architecture knowledge as well as familiarity with object-oriented analysis and design patterns (OOA/OOD)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, and engineers alike.
- Understanding of performance tradeoffs, load balancing and operational issues
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Engineering blog.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
- Flexport 飞协博生态系统
- IT & Security