Join Flexport to solve real world problems while shaping the future of global trade.
Our Ocean Freight Procurement Team is essential to winning new business, supporting all current business, and building out the future of Flexport’s ocean services. As an Ocean Freight Procurement Manager, you’ll be an integral part of helping achieve Flexport’s growth goals.
We’re looking for a team member, the key responsibility of your role will be to manage carrier relationships in order to drive trade growth. Doing so successfully, you will optimize our buying position and offer a higher level of service to our clients. You will be working closely with the rest of the procurement teammates to support the related activities on the assigned trade lanes and ensure a smooth shipment flow, you will also be expected to have a large individual contribution.
- Independently executes commercial and operational tasks and exceptions in accordance with agreed carrier strategy
- Based on the forecast from the clients, proactively manage and optimise the carriers allocation with strong commercial sense
- Understand client specific requirements, manage service disruptions, exceptions and recommend suitable alternatives, ready to jump on the call / meetings if needed
- Do regular check with operations team for top accounts and follow up on business opportunities and provide relevant market intelligence on rate levels and market capacity
- Assist in RFQs and rate enquiries and proactively collecting feedback externally to ensure our procurement position is competitive
- Procure named account deals based on secured business pipeline for various validities conditions
- Provides directions to team on how to grow the trade strategically in terms of volume, revenue and net revenue, ensure alignment internally and consistently look for opportunities to improve the daily workflows
- Overseeing daily tasks of Procurement Sr Associate/Associate/Analyst to ensure timely follow up and accuracy on FAK contracts, terms and conditions, spot rate enquiries and allocation
- Work closely with our Overseas Trade / Procurement counterpart, depends on the trade setup
- Work closely with the fulfillment team, ocean operations team and booking partners to ensure the instruction is clearly aligned and well executed and act as an escalation point for fulfillment team
- Continuously identify and execute on efficiencies, ensure compliance with appropriate governmental regulations and company policies.
- Set regular cadence around floating market feedback to carriers and pursuit of optimal FAK position
- Develop strong carrier relationships with carriers at local, area and regional level primarily focused on trade management or key account management equivalents.
- Prepare and conduct carrier meetings in a regular manner. Ensure appropriate follow up with relevant stakeholders and alignment with overall carrier strategy
- Monitor performance against targets and utilization of allocation for each carrier. Identify and drive necessary course of action
You should have:
- A minimum of 6 years of prior experience at a top freight forwarder or carrier and a BA/BS Degree
- Solid industry knowledge with an in-depth understanding of ocean freight and carrier management, hand on experience of Transpacific trade is a plus
- Strong command of English and Mandarin
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- Strong team player with self starter attitude and also diligent in follow up and completion
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational skills and strong commercial sense
- Next-level attention to detail, think end to end
- Strong analytical skills and ability to structure, interpret and action data
- Strong in problem solving and ability to apply judgement for day-to-day decisions
- Ability to handle change and perform under pressure and tight timeline with great time management skill
- Excellent networking skills to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- An obsession with client happiness. You succeed when they succeed
- Ability to travel locally, nationally and internationally
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it!
- The desire to lead, train, and develop up-and-coming industry talent, also a fast learner to adapt to ever changing environment
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Listen to Ryan, our CEO explain what freight forwarding is and why improving global trade can help to connect the world and break down economic barriers in this Fast Company Freethink Original Series video.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.