Our Finance team supports and collaborates as a strategic partner to clients, vendors, and all internal departments. The company transacts around the world with an on-the-ground operations teams in the U.S., China, and the EU.This role is primarily responsible for timely and accurate processing of Flexport's non-exempt and Canada Payroll through Workday and Payworks, as well as all payroll accounting. The Payroll Accountant will be the primary contact for all domestic employee payroll related inquiries and requires exceptional attention to detail, problem solving, and excellent customer service support skills. This person will respond to frequent and urgent requests for information relating to payroll, tax processing, payroll policy matters, and month-end close.
- Process the biweekly domestic non-exempt, Canadian, and supplemental payrolls in Workday; including administration & calculation, employers’ tax compliance, leave management, calculating final termination pay, etc.
- Reconcile and post all journal entries for month end close
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding paychecks, direct deposit, and/or general payroll related questions
- Review/audit payroll related information entered into Workday to ensure accurate wage processing
- Process and maintain payroll garnishments, tax corrections, and year-end filings
- Assist in periodic audits as needed and take necessary steps to correct any discrepancies
- Participate in special projects as assigned, such as documenting workflows, opening new offices for payroll taxation, improving processes/procedures, and periodic updates to payroll related forms
- Ensure compliance with governmental laws on payroll accounting and taxes
- Monitor paid and unpaid leaves; calculate wages and ensuring accurate benefits deductions
- Update general ledger and Workday payroll files
- Ensure payroll, tax documents, and records are accurate
- Prepare accounting files, records, and schedules
- Ensure Workday is up to date and scale for accounting purposes
You should have:
- A 4-year degree in accounting, human resources, or business studies or equivalent years of related work experience
- 5+ years of payroll processing and payroll accounting
- Experience in managing large payrolls (2000+ employees)
- Proficiency in Excel (VLOOKUP & pivot table) is a must
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong administrative skills, including strict attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and work well in teams to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to learn processes quickly for more efficient and effective results
- Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.