We are reinventing global trade.
The Director of Supply Chain Operations, Ocean is a critical part of making Flexport’s mission to make global trade easy for everyone a reality. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries. In this role, your direct customers are the partners within your region: our account management and customs teams, subcontractors, carriers, terminals and trucking providers. Your work directly supports Flexport’s end customers in achieving their logistics goals. Most importantly, you will play a pivotal role in building the next operational model at Flexport: allowing us to effectively scale to achieve our mission of making global trade easier for everyone.
This role is designed to hire, train, and develop a team of motivated operations managers: designing and building the new model of operations at Flexport while strategically leading your team through the complex world of logistics. You will work cross-functionally to navigate ambiguous challenges and establish a world-class operating team designed to catapult Flexport to realizing its mission. At this stage in Flexport's journey, we understand that great leadership is what will help us achieve our goal. We are looking for best-in-class leadership that can articulate a clear vision and excite teams to execute it day in and day out.
What you’ll do:
As a supply chain leader, you are an expert in executing the end-to-end movement of shipments within a regional network including Ocean or Air and LCL imports and exports.
- You will hire, coach and develop a large organization of people who are responsible for the end-to-end movement of consolidated freight or ocean freight shipments within a gateway.
- You will design strategic operational processes and infrastructure to ensure Flexport executes quality service delivery on-time, efficiently, cost-effectively and most importantly creates a world-class customer experience.
- You will be responsible for monitoring and improving overall cost-to-serve while maintaining a high level of client satisfaction.
- You will personally represent Flexport’s value proposition by recommending supply chain solutions for new clients and opportunities to the account management team.
- You will guard the “front line” in ensuring the highest standard of Flexport quality: designing the right processes and metrics for shipments to move “on-time” and exceptions resolved quickly and appropriately. You will be responsible for meeting internal KPIs and SLAs that demonstrate quality delivery.
- Serve as the primary relationship manager for internal and external partners in your gateway such as ocean, intermodal and drayage vendors, the Customs team and the Network Operations team. You will be the primary point of contact for third-level internal and external escalations.
- You will act as a strategic consultant to your global counterparts, client solutions, customs brokerage, product & engineering and the operations excellence team on supply chain operations strategy
What you’ll need:
- BA/BS degree and minimum 5-10 years of experience in logistics, freight forwarding, supply chain, ocean carrier operations, or consulting (ocean freight knowledge is a plus)
- MA/MS degree in a business or logistics oriented field is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to lead large teams in day-to-day execution and process improvement, including leading managers
- Experience managing the end-to-end customer lifecycle and working with sales teams to understand and cater to the customer experience and lifecycle
- Demonstrated ability building and implementing cross-functional, complex processes
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- Excitement to manage relations and create a best-in-class operational structure
- Hands-on, process-oriented, structured thinker with strong problem-solving capabilities
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Client service mindset - obsessed with client and squad happiness
- A mastery of internal and external communication
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it!
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.