Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3BN from investors that include Founders Fund, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator, DST & Softbank.
With 1,500+ employees in three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.
The Legal department has grown alongside the business and we're looking for the next addition to our legal team -- a great lawyer who will support our global brand, marketing and communications teams as well as be the primary legal business partner to our flexport.org team in its sustainability and international humanitarian relief efforts.
As Commercial Counsel, you’ll join a small and mighty global team and report to the Head of the US Commercial Legal Team. You will partner with executives and senior business leaders to ensure the Company’s compliance with all applicable regulations in its marketing, brand, and outbound sales strategy, as well as all applicable legal and regulatory issues as we expand our sustainability and humanitarian efforts.
This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment that requires cross-functional collaboration across the legal and business teams.
- Support Flexport’s Marketing Team in its global marketing strategy
- Advise on marketing and advertising compliance in the US; liaise with Europe and Asia legal team as necessary to ensure consistency of legal advice provided to brand, marketing, PR, and communications team enterprise-wide
- Advise the global marketing team in legal and regulatory issues for advertising and promotional initiatives
- Advise clients in structuring complex commercial transactions, including partnership agreements and a broad range of agreements in support of the marketing teams and flexport.org teams
- Advise teams on international contests and sweepstakes
- Advise sales teams on compliance with regulations for all outbound sales efforts, including TCPA and CASL; and liaising with the Asia and Europe legal teams as necessary to ensure compliance with applicable laws in those jurisdictions
- Provide legal review of marketing content for internal and external audiences, and partner with the marketing team to design and implement scalable processes for legal review of marketing content across all channels -- website, social media, press releases, product announcements, events, sales collateral and more
- Support and coach marketing team in drafting, negotiating and review of commercial agreements entered into with third party vendors that support the Company’s marketing strategy
- Draft, negotiate and review various types of agreements for a multitude of business teams across the Company with a focus on IT and data privacy contracts (third party vendor and service provider agreements, statements of work, and master service agreements)
- Advise a multitude of business teams on risk, negotiating points and agreement structures
- Serve as a trusted advisor and business partner across the company by providing counsel and guidance for accomplishing Flexport’s overall business objectives
- Work closely with our internal product, business and compliance teams, as well as with external advisors and experts
- Manage projects effectively with a team-oriented approach
- Co-develop standard operating procedures, templates and policies for the Legal Department and the sales, marketing, and growth teams
- Proactively identify opportunities for improving processes in Flexport’s legal operations, as we continue to scale through incredible growth
You should have:
- JD and bar admission to practice
- 3+ years of professional experience
- In-house experience supporting sales, commercial and/or marketing teams
- Experience managing a team is a plus
- Practical experience and solid knowledge of commercial and contract law
- The substantive experience and know-how of handling privacy and data protection topics in and out of the commercial contract context
- A passion for closing deals
- The ability to work on your own and prioritize multiple, often competing for deliverables while managing expectations meeting deadlines
- The ability to work quickly and carefully to meet aggressive turnaround times
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to coordinate effectively and gain trust and confidence with personnel at many different levels
- Ability to work as a team member of the legal department in a scalable, autonomous and accountable manner, demonstrating flexibility across Company marketing strategies globally, various deal types and time zones
- Excellent communication skills to interact with both internal departments and external business clients while addressing complex issues in an accurate, clear, and thorough manner
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.