Staff Engineer, Chicago
Build the Operating System for Global Trade
We are looking for a Staff engineer to take ownership of a broad swath of functionality across engineering teams in the Chicago office. You will be responsible for designing, implementing, and expanding our software that plans and executes our clients supply chains. We are focusing on automatic and efficient cargo planning and routing to maximize both space utilization and client satisfaction.
You will be working primarily with Chicago based teams: Flexport’s Chicago engineering office opened in early 2019 with a focus on trucking. Since then, its scope has expanded to include all aspects of freight forwarding including inventory management, planning, shipment execution and automation.
- Design data models and new systems to plan, execute and manage our customers supply chain
- Automate and streamline the process of booking freight shipments and tracking their progress through their lifecycle
- Extend our systems to support new lines of business (new carriers, new service types, new regions, etc)
- Work across teams to identify and solve pain points in our architecture
- Mentor aspiring engineers through their promotion tracks
- Level up the engineering organization by introducing new best practices and software techniques
You should have:
- 8+ years of experience writing software, and a strong engineering background.
- Strong experience with relational databases
- Experience building large scale, high-performance systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed applications
- Experience as a generalist working on both the frontend and backend to provide the best solutions for users.
- 5+ years of design and architecture knowledge as well as familiarity with object-oriented analysis and design patterns (OOA/OOD)
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers and engineers alike.
- Experience effectively and reliably delivering large projects, including breaking the projects down into smaller pieces.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- User Experience
- Workplace & Facilities
- Hong Kong
- Kuala Lumpur
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote