The Director, Consolidations Network Development is the global leader that owns the development and performance of our global ground network. Our ground network includes all our global warehouses (whether owned by Flexport or operated by third parties), trucking services (linehaul, cartage, final mile) and Air/Sea terminals that we utilize.
You will partner with the mode leaders for Air, LCL, FCL (for transloads) to build a highly efficient global network to bring goods from factories to their destination (distribution center, store or e-commerce buyer) with superior speed and reliability at the lowest possible cost (“pallet network on a schedule”).
Lead our Global Consolidation Network Strategy
- You will lead the Long Range Plan for the Consolidation Network working across multiple internal stakeholders (Air leaders, LCL leaders, Sales Leaders, Tech leaders, Real Estate Head, etc…) to
- Forecast our demand for the next 5 years
- Decide on the infrastructure, teams, technology and capabilities/services we need to build to grow our global business. This will involve making decisions what asset strategy makes most sense at what volume (dedicated trucks / warehouse space vs. flexible).
- Define the critical Financial & Business metrics that we will track to measure success and our 5 year targets for these metrics
- You will lead the Operating Plan for Consolidation Network working across internal stakeholders to align on the tactical business and technology initiatives we will pursue in the coming 12 months to progress towards our long term vision, this will include - but not limited to -
- Detailed list of business initiatives with owners, expected outcomes & success metrics
- Detailed global headcount plan for Consolidation Network, aligned with Operations leadership
- Technology Roadmap with detailed product delivery owners and timeline, aligned with our Technology team leadership
- Lead / oversee the implementation of our strategy in all flexport regions/countries, working closely with operations leadership, Partnership team and Network Development managers in each region
- Cascade / communicate our strategy across the organization, ensuring all stakeholders involved in the implementation of this strategy are aligned and aware of the expectation contribution to our plans
- Ensure the we implement the network on the ground as planned and that it delivers the expected level of performance and quality
- Ensure we develop the metrics to measure our business and financial initiatives and drive the achievement of our targets
- Oversee the progress of our Consolidation Network Technology roadmap and support the product team to deliver on their roadmap (more details below)
- Closely monitor, research and document our client needs and the key trends in the ground logistics space (new technologies, business models, new players, etc…) to ensure we deliver the best service offerings and technology in the freight forwarding marketplace
- Lead / participate in research and discovery sessions with our customers, our internal customer service and sales teams as well as our Network Leadership to get a deep understanding of our customer needs, market trends and quality of our service offerings
- Constantly monitor and document our competition offerings and the latest innovations / technologies in the ground operations space to integrate them in our offerings
- Manage Consolidation Network P&L
- Build our financial plan for Consolidation Network with our Finance team, collaborating across internal departments (sales, Network Leadership, Technology, Real Estate, etc…)
- Review our financial results monthly with our Finance, define and implement the required corrective actions to drive our results
- Constantly look for opportunities to drive additional revenues or reduce costs in our operations and lead the implementation of the improvements (aligning among stakeholders and driving implementation with our regional Network Operations leadership)
- Standardize Consolidation Network Processes
- Become a true domain expert on our end to end execution processes (warehousing, trucking, export coordination and import coordination operations and soon fulfilment) for Air and Ocean consolidations (including FCL transloads) and our current technology.
- Ensure that all ground processes are fully documented and that we operate with consistent processes (and technology) across the globe
- Constantly suggest improvements to improve our ground operations processes performance and team productivity, this can include - but not limited to -
- Software / technology improvements (flexport technology, integrations, etc…)
- Hardware improvements (scanners, dimensioning machines, forklifts, etc…)
- Process improvements (warehouse processes, truck planning, etc…)
- Oversee Consolidation Network Performance
- Set operating SLAs for our network on the ground, develop them with our data analytics team and get them implemented in all regions operating rythms
- Oversee our Network performance and continuously drive improvement initiatives
- Be the global relationship owner for our consolidation network vendors
- Be the global point of escalation for Network Performance handling communication and planning around large/global Network performance disruptions and high level escalations
- Drive our consolidation Network Technology Roadmap
- Define the technology features we should develop to serve our consolidation network, write the business requirements and oversee the implementation working alongside our technology team
- Lead our integration roadmap, defining which vendors we should integrate with, how we should integrate vendors with our platform (direct API, EDI, scraper or dedicated app) and working with our technology and ecosystem/integration team
- Lead global initiatives implementation
- As part of your role you will facilitate the implementation of global initiatives on your scope.
You should have:
- At least 10 plus years of new product development / solutions design or management consulting or relevant work experience in logistics
- You’ve launched some seriously complex initiatives, driving impact through a cross-functional leadership team
- Business acumen - you understand the levers of the business, know how to set KPI’s, and can methodically ship product that moves the needle
- A strong sense of ownership - you can work independently and lead a smoothly running Makers (product development) team with many cross-team dependencies and impacts.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity - given an open-ended task, you deliver great work!
- Great communication - You are able to communicate effectively, write strong product requirements, and drive consensus across functions and teams
- Executive presence: you can hold your own with our senior leadership team
- Growth Mindset - You care about team culture and want to help Flexport scale our organization by improving and elevating our PM team and processes by identifying process improvements and mentoring others
- Fluent in written and spoken English
Bonus if you have:
- Experience working at a company that has scaled quickly
- Developed products with a global audience
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.