Network Planning Manager
Help fix the user experience in global trade
The role of the Network Planning Manager is a critical part of making Flexport’s mission to make global trade easy for everyone a reality. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries. In this role, your direct customers are the partners within your region: our Network Tradelane Management team, Network Operations team and Client Solutions team. Your work directly supports Flexport’s end customers in achieving their logistics goals. Most importantly, you will play a pivotal role in building the next operational model at Flexport: allowing us to effectively scale to achieve our mission of making global trade easier for everyone.
This role is designed to build and develop tactical planning capability with one objective, matching Supply and Demand through the complex world of freight forwarding. You will work cross-functionally to navigate ambiguous challenges and establish a world-class operating team. At this stage in Flexport's journey, we understand that great leadership is what will help us achieve our goal. We also understand that great leaders have to learn how to balance tactical and adaptive responsibilities. A leader who is too tactical will squelch the creativity and motivation of their teams. A leader who is too adaptive will create a lot of wasted time and effort, which will also squelch the motivation of their teams. Your job as a leader is to create balance for those you manage.
As a supply chain leader, you are an expert in executing the end-to-end movement of shipments within a regional network for air consolidation products, import and export.
As a supply chain leader, you are an expert in providing tactical planning for capacity utilization & cost management and procurement within a regional network including Ocean or Air and LCL imports and exports, resulting in improved Service Performance and Cost-to-serve.
- You will maintain sufficient capacity allotment through constant review of demand trend and forecast, to meet our company’s strategy and customers’ expectations
- You will derive & execute buy/sell Flexport’s capacity instruction based on market trend, network performance and demand forecast
- You will track carrier spending and capacity utilization and provide input to pricing strategies to Tradelane Management team
- You will oversee the Flexport’s network capacity performance and assign allotment to origins in the region which yield the right service level and best cost to serve.
- You will guard the “front line” in ensuring the highest standard of Flexport quality: the right processes and metrics are in place for shipments to move “on-time” and at the right cost. You will be responsible for meeting internal KPIs and SLAs that demonstrate quality delivery.
- You will maintain the capacity information and document integrity in Flexport’s system in order to facilitate operational planning, financial reporting and service management.
- You will design scalable planning infrastructure and procedures to ensure our team is providing the most up-to-date and accurate network performance information to your stakeholders. If they are not, you will look for opportunities to improve them.
- You will work together with Markers and design industry leading operations planning tools to deliver consolidation benefits and facilitate operational planning workflow.
- You will work with gateway and global management to ensure the right metrics and data are in place to empower your regional team to deliver great performance.
- You will be responsible for monitoring and improving overall cost-to-serve while maintaining a high level of client satisfaction.
- You will help design and implement operational infrastructure and procedures in the team you oversee while constantly identifying and executing on opportunities to realize optimal efficiency and productivity.
- You will empower your team to prioritize and align on key initiatives, experiment with the best ways to drive growth and maintain high on-the-job motivation.
- You will be an active student, learning the skills of leadership which Flexport will strive to apprentice.
- You will work with Account Management to design and iterate on effective feedback loops to ensure client needs are met.
- You will act as a strategic consultant to your global counterparts, product & engineering and the operations excellence team on ocean supply chain operations and your regional gateway ocean or network operations strategy.
You should have:
- BA/BS degree
- Minimum 8+ years of experience in air carriers, aviation, freight forwarding and/or supply chain, especially on capacity planning and management
We’re looking for folks that have:
- Excitement to manage relations and create a best-in-class operational structure
- Hands-on, process-oriented, structured thinker with strong problem-solving capabilities
- Lead continuous process improvement
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Client service mindset - obsessed with client and squad happiness
- A mastery of internal and external communication
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it!
- The desire to lead, train and develop up and coming industry talent
- Coaching your colleagues
- Encouraging your team to improve how the team works
- Helping your team learn from their performance outcomes
- Inspiring your team
- Engaging a customer with empathy and without bias
- Pressure testing qualitative and quantitative work
- Building strategy through a customer viability lens
- Designing processes
- Leading difficult conversations
- Forming hypothesis and developing experiments
- Communicating with structure (“A mastery of (internal) communication”)
- Managing time and commitments (“Next-level attention to detail”)
- Investigating and troubleshooting the customer’s problem
- Execute complex processes without missing adaptive opportunities
- Applying policy, process, and best practices
- Organizing, leading, and participating in meetings
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- User Experience
- Hong Kong
- Kuala Lumpur
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote