Senior Software Engineer, Marketplace Finance
Do you come from the Finance or FinTech industry but want to apply your skills into something tangible that makes a positive impact on people’s daily lives? Or coming from another industry and considering getting into FinTech?
Then come help us build our greenfield financial platform for freight forwarding and scale up our business!
Flexport is a freight forwarder and logistics platform using modern software to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
With 13 offices on three continents, we help the world's fastest growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving goods between any two places on the planet.
In Amsterdam, Flexport is adding product and engineering teams to our Vijzelstraat office with the initial focus on supporting our continued growth within our Trade and Financial Services group. We build the systems handling customs, accounting & finance reporting and optimization (cost, revenue) insurance and financial lending.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At Flexport you’ll develop systems that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.
- Work closely with business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Craft the engineering vision, and own the technical landscape, for operational finance in the world of logistics that powers global trade.
- Design systems that represent the real-world intricacies of logistics entities and the financials of moving cargo across the globe.
- Mentor and grow junior engineers.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Geek out about FinTech, financial systems, accounting, ledgers, financial optimization and analytics. (We do this often.)
What you’ll build:
- Build the core operational finance platform that will help run our business and ensure Flexport remains both profitable and compliant.
- Automatically capture real-world events from the shipment lifecycle and map them into accounting & finance milestones that trigger actions.
- Design world-class ledger system(s) to monitor the financial performance of shipments throughout their lifecycle both individually per shipment and in the aggregate by different dimensions.
- Figure out the most efficient way to automate key financial processes to run things on auto-pilot and only involve humans when significant discrepancies arise.
- Enable cost and profitability insights through data engineering and integration with analytics systems.
- Create beautiful and efficient domain models for the incredibly complex world of freight forwarding.
- Bring trade to everyone in the world.
You should have:
- 5+ years of experience writing software, and a strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers and engineers alike.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- Proven experience mentoring and leading technically other engineers
- A desire to develop your tooling repertoire. We are tech-agnostic regarding candidate background, but our platform is built with Ruby.
- Optional: production experience in one or more functional languages.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app and introducing services using other languages, such as Java, Kotlin, Scala, Node.js, Go, Clojure. Our data is persisted in mostly Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- User Experience
- Hong Kong
- Kuala Lumpur
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote