2023 Summer Applied Research Scientist Intern (PhD)
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
Flexport is looking for a creative, technically-minded Applied Research Scientist (ARS) Intern who is motivated to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems in freight forwarding.
Data is at the heart of our business. As an ARS Intern, you will evaluate and build quantitative solutions for Flexport’s freight forwarding and marketplace products. In collaboration with multidisciplinary teams, you will apply advanced methods to develop operations research/machine learning solutions that deliver data-driven insights and automated decision making. Project assignment will be based on the team's needs and your knowledge and skillsets.
You will own end-to-end delivery of the science solution over 12 weeks, culminating in delivering and presenting a production-ready solution. The science team has intern projects covering all Flexport initiatives, including pricing, experimentation, strategic/tactical/operations planning (e.g., routing, scheduling, inventory management, and network design), and applied machine learning (e.g., transit time estimation, forecasting, trade & financial services).
- Lead and complete at least one science project that will be launched in production.
- Work with a supportive mentor who has a stake in your success and will help you grow.
- Perform data gathering and requirements gathering & analysis.
- Research prior work to inform and develop rational hypotheses and quantify appropriate metrics & targets.
- Develop data analysis/machine learning solutions to support actionable insights and deliver data-driven OR solutions to support automated decision making.
- Work with large and complex data sets and solve difficult data analysis problems by applying advanced analytical methods as needed.
You Should Have:
- Be a Ph.D. candidate graduating between December 2023 and August 2024 in a technical field like Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, etc.
- Have strong programming experience in SQL and one or more of the following languages: Python, C/C++, C#, Java.
- Experience working with large data sets and knowledge of tools for big data analytics (e.g., SQL, Python, Perl, or Ruby).
- Practical exposure to algorithm design, engineering, and implementation.
- Practical exposure to optimization methods for solving linear, mixed-integer, and dynamic programs.
- Ability to translate business requirements into mathematical models.
- Knowledge of MIP strategies to customize/leverage commercial/open-source solvers.
- Knowledge of business analytics, forecasting, or supply chain planning, emphasizes on quantitative modeling and analysis.
- A “compliance first” attitude to keep our regulators happy and enthusiastic about Flexport since we operate in a heavily regulated industry.
You will get:
- An assigned manager and mentor who will be dedicated to your success at Flexport.
- Projects and assignments which will help build your knowledge and skills while making a measurable direct impact on the business.
- Visibility to leaders within the organization and opportunities to present your work/projects.
- Opportunity to join team-building activities to get you familiarized with your immediate team and other Flexport employees.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Flexport 飞协博生态系统
- Hong Kong Warehouse