2023 New Grad Software Engineer, Data Platform
Flexport is looking for a creative, technically-minded Software Engineer I to solve some of the most challenging data problems in global trade. Data is at the heart of our business. You will be part of a team responsible for the development of a globally scalable, distributed data platform that will serve the most up to date information about global supply chains, transportation, and logistics. The foundational abstractions served by this team represent the digital state of the world and will be used to automate operational workflows and feed predictive machine learning models.
As a Software Engineer I, you will work in complex data warehouse environments. You will partner with Data Science and other Software Engineering teams to develop scalable and innovative solutions to process and store large amounts of low latency structured and unstructured data to enable the Data Science and Machine Learning team to execute successful, data-driven strategies.
You should be excited about designing, building, and managing large datasets. You should have experience programmatically working with data sets and writing efficient software. Our Data Science, Product, and Software Engineering teams collaborate with our Data Platform team to share domain knowledge, test hypotheses at scale, and develop solutions that can be quickly and widely deployed. In addition, we are passionate about providing effortlessly accessible intelligence and actionable insights to our end users.
Our ideal candidate is: self-motivated, highly analytical, technically excellent at writing code, and passionate about delivering cutting-edge data solutions. Good candidates include both Software Engineers with a background working with data management platforms and generalist Data Engineers with coding experience.
- Implement and deploy operational and analytic infrastructure to
- support pricing, planning and ML platforms in data-driven decision-making
- represent complex supply chain and logistics data models, model metadata, build reports and dashboards, and create reporting tools
- improve the current data architecture, focusing on improving data quality, data security, latency, scalability, and extensibility
- Use custom and open source tools to develop JVM-centric (Java, Kotlin) solutions to automate ETL, analytics, and data platform management
- Collaborate closely with data scientists, data analytics, product, engineering, and business/operations teams to:
- develop, implement, and validate key performance metrics
- integrate with other internal products, and
- support production deployment of partner solutions
You Should Have:
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field, such as computer science, machine learning, or a related field and expected to graduate between December 2022 and August 2023.
- Experience programming with languages such as Kotlin, Java, or other JVM languages.
- Some knowledge of data warehousing concepts.
- Some knowledge of engineering and operational excellence using best practices.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Some knowledge of data modeling, ETL design, or the use of large-scale databases in business environments.
- Some experience with data pipelines or distributed systems.
- Some experience working with large data sets and knowledge of tools for big data analytics and manipulation.
- Knowledge of some of the following technologies, or similar: Snowflake, dbt, MongoDB, PostgresQL, Spring Framework, Kubernetes.
- Ability to understand models written in Python and/or Ruby.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific, as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital, and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Are you worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s crucial for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding, and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another, and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program explicitly designed to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- Flexport 飞协博生态系统