Build the Ocean Services to help Flexport grow
Our Ocean Freight Procurement Team is essential to winning new business, supporting all current business, and building out the future of Flexport’s ocean services. As an Ocean Freight Procurement Associate, you’ll be an integral part of helping achieve Flexport’s growth goals.
We’re looking for a team member, responsible for different trades that we are focusing on. Candidates will need to have a passion for ocean freight and ability to work with parties across different parts of the organization.
Be a market expert:
- Stay up-to-date on all market pricing, service update, current utilisation conditions and cost competitiveness
- Assist with both short-term and long-term trade development & allocation planning
- Create tools for analyzing market conditions and effectively sharing to the team members informed on latest developments
- Create and analyze reports to efficiently support daily operational tasks
- Manage ocean carrier contracts, both floating and fixed rates, and maintenance in a timely manner
- Demonstrate ability to optimize on cost to serve with strong commercial sense
- Support specific operational issues that contract filing related or/and allocation related
- Manage spot quotations and proactively follow up the opportunities
- Being part of the trade team assisting your manager to maintain and develop excellent relationship with our partners (shipping lines)
Focus on strategy and development:
- Create tools for internal use to build efficiency and share knowledge, both within the team and company
- Collaborate with operations, sales, marketing and compliance as needed for new projects
- Be flexible, engaged, and ready to jump into something new
You should have:
- BA/BS degree with a strong track record of success
- 1-3 years of experience at a startup, top consulting firm, an NVOCC pricing or procurement team or in a supply-chain role, hands on experience of Transpacific trade is a plus
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational skills and strong commercial sense
- High proficiency in written and spoken English, with a plus on Mandarin
- An obsession with client happiness. You succeed when they succeed
- Next-level attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills and ability to structure, interpret and action data
- Strong in problem solving and ability to apply judgement for day-to-day decisions
- Ability to handle change and perform under pressure and tight timelines
- Ability to travel locally, nationally and internationally
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it!
- The intellectual horsepower to become an expert on international trade in a matter of weeks
- A mastery of email communication. You keep the inbox at zero
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Listen to Ryan, our CEO explain what freight forwarding is and why improving global trade can help to connect the world and break down economic barriers in this Fast Company Freethink Original Series video.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.