The role of the SCOps Senior Manager is a critical part of making Flexport’s mission to make global trade easy for everyone a reality. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries. In this role, your direct customers are the partners within your region: our account management and customs teams, subcontractors, carriers, terminals and trucking providers. Your work directly supports Flexport’s end customers in achieving their logistics goals. Most importantly, you will play a pivotal role in building the next operational model at Flexport: allowing us to effectively scale to achieve our mission of making global trade easier for everyone.
This role is designed to hire, train, and develop a team of motivated operations managers: designing and building the new model of operations at Flexport while strategically leading your team through the complex world of logistics. You will work cross-functionally to navigate ambiguous challenges and establish a world-class operating team designed to catapult Flexport to realizing its mission. At this stage in Flexport's journey, we understand that great leadership is what will help us achieve our goal. We are looking for best-in-class leadership that can articulate a clear vision and excite teams to execute it day in and day out.
As a supply chain leader, you are an expert in executing the end-to-end movement of shipments within a regional network including Ocean and LCL imports and exports.
- You will hire, coach and develop an organization of 4-5 managers and 20-40 individual contributors responsible for the end-to-end movement of consolidated freight or ocean freight shipments within a gateway.
- You will design strategic operational processes and infrastructure to ensure Flexport executes quality service delivery on-time, efficiently, cost-effectively and most importantly creates a world-class customer experience.
- You will be responsible for monitoring and improving overall cost-to-serve while maintaining a high level of client satisfaction.
- You will personally represent Flexport’s value proposition by recommending supply chain solutions for new clients and opportunities to the account management team.
- You will guard the “front line” in ensuring the highest standard of Flexport quality: designing the right processes and metrics for shipments to move “on-time” and exceptions resolved quickly and appropriately. You will be responsible for meeting internal KPIs and SLAs that demonstrate quality delivery.
- You will assist in the development of, and manage business plans and budgets for gateway teams.
- As an Ocean team leader you will:
- Serve as the primary relationship manager for internal and external partners in your gateway such as ocean, intermodal and drayage vendors, the Customs team and the Network Operations team. You will be the primary point of contact for third-level internal and external escalations.
- You will allow Flexport to decouple scale and headcount. Leverage data and work with the product team to design software to establish the best processes and controls for all parts of the shipment lifecycle
- You will work cross with global management to design the right metrics that empower your gateway team to deliver great performance
- You will work with Product and Engineering teams to develop technology roadmaps and implement new features
- You will provide leadership and direction to a high-performance team of managers and individual contributors, including hiring, training, and career development
- You will empower your team to prioritize and align on key initiatives, experiment with the best ways to drive growth and maintain high on-the-job motivation.
- You will work with Account Management to design and iterate on effective feedback loops to ensure client needs are met.
- You will act as a strategic consultant to your global counterparts, product & engineering and the operations excellence team on ocean supply chain operations and your regional gateway ocean or network operations strategy.
What you will need:
- BA/BS degree and minimum 5-10 years of experience in logistics, freight forwarding, supply chain, ocean carrier operations, or consulting (ocean freight knowledge is a plus)
- MA/MS degree in a business or logistics oriented field is a plus
We’re looking for folks that have:
- Demonstrated ability to lead large teams in day-to-day execution and process improvement, including leading managers
- Experience managing the end-to-end customer lifecycle and working with sales teams to understand and cater to the customer experience and lifecycle
- Demonstrated ability building and implementing cross-functional, complex processes
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- Excitement to manage relations and create a best-in-class operational structure
- Hands-on, process-oriented, structured thinker with strong problem-solving capabilities
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Client service mindset - obsessed with client and squad happiness
- A mastery of internal and external communication
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it!
- The desire to lead, train and develop up and coming industry talent