Software Engineer II, API
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
- Model the complex global freight domain. Design our public API to help our customers integrate with Flexport and automate their supply chain.
- Empower external and internal engineering teams to quickly launch and consume public APIs in a secure and scalable self-service manner, unleashing the power of Flexport’s technology platform.
- Be responsible for the API framework that helps build essential features like API versioning and expansion.
- Build platform services that help Flexport engineering teams build enterprise-grade solutions, including services like,
- A webhook system that allows external clients to be notified when a significant event occurs in the Flexport ecosystem.
- A metadata service that allows external clients to add their own custom attributes to Flexport API objects.
- Secure access control layers governing permissions to specific data and operations
- Enhanced observability and real-time telemetry for API platform team and API publishers
- Work closely with business partners, other engineering teams and product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Geek out about shipping, invoicing, customs regulations and logistics. (We do this often.)
- Enhancements to Flexport’s public APIs, webhooks and developer ecosystem while figuring out the most efficient way for our customers and partners to participate in the process of moving freight across borders.
- Design and build APIs and webhooks which enable deep, secure, scalable, complex integrations with customers, government agencies and partners.
- Automate archaic logistics processes saving operations teams thousands of phone calls per week.
- Deliver supply chain API insights to teams via a world-class analytics experience.
- Create beautiful and efficient domain models for the incredibly complex world of freight forwarding.
- Bring trade to everyone in the world.
You should have:
- Minimum 2+ years of experience writing software, building RESTful APIs and strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, high-quality, secure, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers and engineers alike.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- We are tech-agnostic regarding candidate background, but our platform is built with Ruby and we are transitioning to Kotlin.
- Preferred Experience: Ruby, Rails, Kotlin, Java.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly and customer success
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the backend, we are in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app and introducing services using other languages, such as Kotlin, while services communicate over gRPC, ProtoBuf and GraphQL. Our data is persisted in mostly Postgres and Redis. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker. Enterprise Integrations are built with Dell Boomi.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Engineering blog.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
- Data Services
- Flexport 飞协博生态系统
- Hong Kong Warehouse