The role of the SCOps Senior Associate is a critical part of making Flexport’s mission to make global trade easy for everyone a reality. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries. In this role, your direct customers are the partners within your region: our account management and customs teams, subcontractors, carriers, terminals and trucking providers. Your work directly supports Flexport’s end customers in achieving their logistics goals. Most importantly, you will play a pivotal role in building the next operational model at Flexport: allowing us to effectively scale to achieve our mission of making global trade easier for everyone.
This role is designed to build your leadership capabilities within a global operations team moving shipments. As the resident expert on the intricate world of the logistics industry, you will take on a player-coach role in the mentoring and development of your team, leading them to uphold performance standards and guiding them to solve complex issues for clients and vendors. You will drive your team to build and implement scalable processes and tools, in alignment with your global counterparts and internal stakeholders. As the person who mentors the team managing movement in your region, you have the unique opportunity to work with your regional account team to improve and grow our customers’ business.
As a supply chain operator, you are an expert in executing the end-to-end movement of shipments within a regional network including Ocean or Air and LCL imports and exports.
- You will be responsible for coaching and supporting the execution of a 3-6 person team in the end-to-end movement of ocean freight shipments within a regional network (both imports and exports), including intermodal movements.
- You will use metrics to guide your regional team to improve and deliver great performance, including data quality and shipment milestone timeliness. You will oversee internal KPIs and SLAs that demonstrate quality service delivery.
- You will personally represent Flexport’s value proposition by leading business implementation and shipment execution for new clients and opportunities.
- You will oversee the “front line” in ensuring the highest standard of Flexport quality: shipments move “on-time” and exceptions are handled appropriately.
- You will build scalable operational infrastructure and procedures to ensure they are delivering the highest levels of efficiency and productivity for your customers. If they are not, you will look for opportunities to improve them.
- Serve as the day-to-day relationship manager for internal and external partners such as ocean, intermodal and drayage vendors, the Customs team and the Network Operations team. You will oversee day-to-day operations with these partners and act as the primary point of contact for internal and external escalations.
- You will analyze data to rate vendor (e.g. carrier, trucker) performance and inform performance management initiatives.
- You will help design, build and implement operational infrastructure and procedures in the day-to-day workflow, while constantly identifying and executing on opportunities to realize optimal efficiency and productivity.
- You will empower Account Management by leading feedback loops to ensure client needs are met.
- You will use metrics to spot opportunities to improve and deliver great performance in the team you mentor, including data quality and shipment milestone timeliness.
- You will act as a consultant to your regional team, product & engineering and the operations excellence team on ocean supply chain operations.
What you will need:
- BA/BS degree
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in logistics, freight forwarding, supply chain, ocean carrier operations, or consulting
- Desire to “build a better machine” and get irritated when things aren’t optimal
- Demonstrated ability to coach small teams in day-to-day execution
- Hands-on, process-oriented, structured thinking with strong problem-solving capabilities
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- Excitement to manage vendor relations and create best-in-class, innovative structures to do so
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- A client service mindset; you are obsessed with client and squad happiness
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it!
- Flexibility to get the job done when needed. Willing to work outside office hours and occasional weekend or night shifts in certain locations.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.