Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3BN from investors that include Founders Fund, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator, DST & Softbank.
With 1,500+ employees in three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.
The Legal department has grown alongside the business and we're looking for the next addition to our legal team -- a great lawyer who will lead corporate transactions and manage corporate governance for the Company and its global corporate structure.
As Corporate Counsel, you’ll join a small and mighty global team and report to the General Counsel. You will partner with executives and senior business leaders to ensure the Company’s compliance with securities regulations, negotiate strategic transactions for the Company, lead integration of newly acquired businesses and business lines, and lead corporate governance for the Company and its global corporate structure.
This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment that requires cross-functional collaboration across the legal and business teams.
Lead M&A, Strategic Transactions & Integration:
- Review and negotiate strategic transactions (M&A; complex commercial agreements) including negotiation and review of all definitive deal documents and diligence (SPAs, APAs, ancillaries (escrow agreements, paying agent agreements and other related transactional agreements); disclosure schedules)
- Conduct and oversee due diligence in M&A and strategic transactions
- Supervise outside counsel and effectively manage their costs
- Partner with Executives and senior business leaders to explore acquisition and investment prospects and to execute transactions
- Advise, support and coach the business on risk, negotiating points and agreement structures in strategic transactions
- Serve as a trusted advisor and business partner across the company by providing counsel and guidance for accomplishing Flexport’s overall business objectives
- Lead legal integration of newly acquired companies and business product lines post-closing of strategic acquisitions
Lead Corporate Governance Function:
- Lead the corporate governance & entity management function for all corporate entities globally (board & shareholder resolutions & actions; annual filings; management of registered agent; etc)
- Coordinate with & manage in-house paralegals and external registered agents and reporting services in the corporate governance functions
Lead Regulatory and SEC Reporting:
- Lead all Exchange Act matters, including SEC reporting, registration statements, proxy statements, matters relating to annual shareholder meeting
- Lead all public listing requirements, whether FINRA, NASDAQ, NYSE listing and governance
- Liaise with and advise Investor Relations, Public Relations and Communications teams on periodic SEC reporting and other projects
- Manage all insider trading compliance, including Section 16 and 10b5-1 trading plans
- Work with People team, Finance team and Stock Admin team on equity compensation matters including all SEC reporting
- Board of Directors support (including D&O Questionnaires, reviews of conflicts of interest, etc.)
- Support Tax team, Finance team & Controller in annual financial audits and various global business projects (including corporate restructuring, expansion, various inter-company agreements)
You should have:
- JD and bar admission to practice
- Minimum 4+ years of law firm experience in corporate and securities matters, with at least 2+ years in a major US law firm
- Public company reporting experience and knowledge of 1933 and 1934 Acts, Reg FD and SEC and NYSE rules applicable to publicly-traded companies
- Experience in capital markets, public company counsel, public or private M&A; public company corporate governance matters; specific experience with technology transactions and IP issues is a plus
- In-house experience is ideal but not required; in-house at a technology company is a plus
- Impeccable written and oral communication skills, and extremely high attention to detail
- Excellent legal and business judgment
- A passion for closing deals
- Ability to assess risk and provide sound, commercially-minded legal advice to Executives and senior business leaders on structure of M&A transactions
- The ability to work on your own and prioritize multiple, often competing deliverables while managing expectations and meeting deadlines
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to coordinate effectively and gain trust and confidence with personnel at many different levels
- The ability to work as a team player of the legal department in a scalable, autonomous and accountable manner, demonstrating flexibility across deal types and time zones
- Excitement for interacting with both internal clients & colleagues, as well as external parties (counsel, strategic partners, auditors, regulators, investors, principals at potential targets), while addressing complex issues in an accurate, clear, and thorough manner
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.