Making global trade easy at Flexport
Flexport is hiring an Engineering Manager to lead the engineers working on our Customs products within the Trade and Financial Services group.
You’ll manage a highly technical team of full-stack engineers to help develop impactful and quality products in a fast growing business. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry, specifically related to customs and financial services
- Lead the team’s deliverables from technical design to rollout
- Facilitate rapid iteration of features and tracking of metrics
- Own services end-to-end, including comprehensive testing and production support
- Expertly design and own technical solutions for broad or complex requirements with insightful strategic approaches
- Describe, analyze, and drive agreement on major technical decisions
- Inspire amazing engineers that ship new code every day
You should have
- At least 5 years experience building software or web applications
- Proven experience managing technical teams and/or projects
- Track record of delivering on ambitious goals with high quality
- Ability to work well with others and collaborate across teams
- Experience leading large projects with multiple stakeholders
- Experience taking complex problems and breaking them into manageable pieces
- An interest in helping your team do their best work
- Strong communication skills
- A passion for always learning and improving yourself and your team
- Ability to set technical vision for larger projects and coordinate technical work spanning multiple engineering teams
- Next-level analytical problem-solving talent
- Experience in a fast-paced work environment & a bias for action
- You have a product-first approach to building software and you care about the real-world functionality of your programming
- Track record of delivering on time and with quality
- Bonus if you have recent development experience with modern front end technologies like React
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app and moving to services. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, creed, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.