Software Engineer II
Build the programs to help Flexport grow
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Order Management Engineering:
The order management engineering group is responsible for creating an order management platform that empowers consignees to work seamlessly with their suppliers. The product will unlock complete purchase order and SKU level visibility and control from purchase orders and fulfillment to final delivery. The role involves learning the business of freight forwarding, modeling the work that people do to manage order and move freight, designing solutions to make it more efficient, and automating much of it.
High-quality software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At Flexport you’ll develop systems that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.
- Develop complex software product initiatives and run them to completion with minimal supervision
- Write thorough technical specs that define new systems or expand existing ones.
- Review technical specs and from peer engineers and ensure that they are in line with the team’s technical vision.
- Articulate the vision to engineers on the team and prospective engineering candidates as part of the interview process.
- Identify and document cross-team initiatives and project dependencies to achieve team's vision.
- Design flexible, maintainable code
- Design and implement order management software that enables clients to manage orders with their suppliers.
- Model the complex world of the demand side of the supply chain and relation to freight movement.
- Design competent, a scalable data model that represents the complex areas of Purchase Order lifecycle
- Design solutions that will enable the purchase order to be fulfilled by any freight service provider.
- Distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions by working closely with business partners and product managers
- Gather requirements and review product specifications to better understand the business workflows that need to be automated.
- Review the UX designs prepared to make sure that the complex workflows are well represented in the UX.
- Outline a high level solution by writing technical specs that describes how the proposed software will solve the complex business problems.
- Document granular work breakdown of the project and come up with a timeline and roadmap of solution delivery.
- Build scalable programs that standardize information flow to activate new business offerings.
- Write bar-raising code that peer engineers can reference as a standard for the team
- Ensure compliance with software industry best practices to improve team monitoring, solve and prevent bugs, and ensure a 99.99% uptime SLA
- Provide regular, concrete technical feedback in code reviews for relatively junior engineers on the team.
- Identify and build backend components that can be leveraged by other developers to power their systems.
You should have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- You have 3+ years of experience writing software and a strong engineering background.
- Experience as a generalist working on both the frontend and backend to provide the best solutions for our users.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- You love simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- You can convey technical ideas in common terms to business stakeholders, product managers, and engineers alike.
- An aptitude for learning quickly and strong problem solving skills
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the front end, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app and moving to services. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Engineering blog.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people fromdiverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about what our tech teams have been up to, head to the Engineering Blog.
- Flexport 飞协博生态系统
- Hong Kong Warehouse