Senior Optimization Systems Manager
Flexport is experiencing massive growth with 2,500+ Flexporters across 23+ global offices and warehouses. And we’re just getting started. As an Optimization Systems Sr. Manager for Ocean, you’ll lead a small team of experts at the intersection of business, data and technology, whose mission is to deliver pricing and optimization excellence.
The Optimization Team focuses on building and implementing new pricing and planning tools and processes to support multiple business functions. We work closely with our technology teams to maintain tool, process, and data consistency across the globe and all service offerings. This includes designing intelligent pricing models for execution in the field. Successful team members can think in algorithms but communicate with anyone. This team works across many groups within Flexport including Engineering & Product, Ocean Trade Lane Management, Sales, Operations, and Finance.
The role is based ideally on the U.S. West Coast (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bellevue), however strong profiles will be considered for any of the global Flexport offices or U.S. remote.
This is a high-profile role, with visible and measurable impact at a company that celebrates data-driven decision making.
- Engage with multiple teams across the business to generate quantitative business requirements to optimize pricing & planning
- Build tooling to optimize pricing & planning working closely with data science
- Project manage the delivery of models / tools to all required business units
- Engage with product and data science teams to build out long term quantitative systems
- Drive track & measurement for key results across different quantitative variables in the business to optimize pricing & planning
You should have:
- Over 8 years experience in a quantitative business role
- Excellent ability in building quantitative financial/pricing models using MS Excel / Google sheets or other tooling
- Strong ability to have active engagement with data science teams, talking in algorithms and quantitative concepts whilst incorporating business concepts
- Experience in scoping and managing global large scale quantitative projects
- Demonstrated ability to learn new business supply/demand concepts quickly
- Strong project management skills, managing the following effectively: project timelines, deliverables, team accountability
- Strong stakeholder management, including executive management
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization and planning skills. Attention to detail and adaptability in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment
- BSc in quantitative discipline (Operations Research, Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Engineering,...)
- MBA, or MA in Operations Research or similar preferred
- Ability to code in Python and other quantitative languages
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Account Solutions & Implementation
- Business Enablement
- Business Operations
- Client Solutions
- Data Science & Analytics
- Flexport Ecosystem
- General Management
- Global Brand
- IT, Security & Infrastructure
- Office of CEO
- Operational Excellence
- Product Management
- Supply Chain Operations
- Technical Program Management
- Trade & Financial Services
- User Experience
- Hong Kong
- Kuala Lumpur
- Los Angeles
- New York City
- San Francisco
- U.S. Remote