Senior Manager, Supply Chain Operations, Canada
Supply Chain Operations, Ocean
Senior Manager, Supply Chain Operations, Canada
The role of the Senior Manager, Supply Chain Operations is a critical part of making Flexport’s mission to make global trade easy for everyone a reality. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries. In this role, your direct customers are the partners within your region: our account management and customs teams, subcontractors, carriers, terminals and trucking providers. Your work directly supports Flexport’s end customers in achieving their logistics goals. Most importantly, you will play a pivotal role in building the next operational model at Flexport: allowing us to effectively scale to achieve our mission of making global trade easier for everyone.
This role is designed to hire, train, and develop a team designing and building the new model of operations at Flexport while strategically leading your team through the complex world of logistics in Canada. You will work cross-functionally to navigate ambiguous challenges and establish a world-class operating team designed to catapult Flexport to realizing its mission. At this stage in Flexport's journey, we understand that great leadership is what will help us achieve our goal. We are looking for best-in-class leadership that can articulate a clear vision and excite teams to execute it day in and day out.
As a supply chain leader, you are an expert in executing the end-to-end movement of shipments within a regional network including Ocean, Air, LCL and trucking (domestic and cross border) for imports and exports ex-Canada.
- Hire, coach and develop an organization responsible for the end-to-end movement of consolidated freight or ocean freight shipments within the Canadian gateway
- Design strategic operational processes and infrastructure to ensure Flexport executes quality service delivery on-time, efficiently, cost-effectively and most importantly creates a world-class customer experience.
- Responsible for monitoring and improving overall cost-to-serve while maintaining a high level of client satisfaction.
- Represent Flexport’s value proposition by recommending supply chain solutions for new clients and opportunities to the account management team.
- Guard the “front line” in ensuring the highest standard of Flexport quality: designing the right processes and metrics for shipments to move “on-time” and exceptions resolved quickly and appropriately. You will be responsible for meeting internal KPIs and SLAs that demonstrate quality delivery.
- Assist in the development of and manage business plans and budgets for gateway teams.
- As an operations leader you will:
- Serve as the primary relationship manager for internal and external partners in your gateway such as ocean, intermodal, warehouse, cartage/drayage vendors, the Customs team and the Operations team. You will be the primary point of contact for third-level internal and external escalations.
- Manage all parts of global Import and Export ocean operations including white glove, specialty, and global key accounts with supply chain complexity.
- Monitor gateway vendor (e.g. carrier, trucker) performance and partner with Procurement on performance management initiatives.
- Negotiate vendor contracts to ensure market competitiveness
- Coordinate and execute cross border trucking shipments and warehouse operations
- Allow Flexport to decouple scale and headcount. Leverage data and work with the product team to design software to establish the best processes and controls for all parts of the shipment lifecycle
- Work cross with global management to design the right metrics that empower your gateway team to deliver great performance
- Work with Product and Engineering teams to develop technology roadmaps and implement new features
- Provide leadership and direction to a high-performance team of managers and individual contributors, including hiring, training, and career development
- Empower your team to prioritize and align on key initiatives, experiment with the best ways to drive growth and maintain high on-the-job motivation.
- Work with Account Management to design and iterate on effective feedback loops to ensure client needs are met.
- Act as a strategic consultant to your global counterparts, product & engineering and the operations excellence team on ocean supply chain operations and your regional gateway ocean or network operations strategy.
- Lead an expansion plan for operational team and warehouse footprint throughout Canada as makes sense for our business to be close to cargo movement
What you will need:
- BA/BS degree and minimum 7-10 years of experience in logistics, freight forwarding, supply chain, ocean carrier operations, or consulting (ocean, trucking and air freight knowledge is a plus)
- A minimum of 5 years of experience managing managers of teams and direct reports
- MA/MS degree in a business or logistics oriented field is a plus
- Subject Matter Expert in Canadian Operations: Customs, Compliance, Trucking, Air/Ocean products, and regulations
- Scrappy self starter who is ambitious to grow a team and business quickly
- Demonstrated ability to lead diverse teams in day-to-day execution and process improvement, including leading managers
- Experience managing the end-to-end customer lifecycle and working with sales teams to understand and cater to the customer experience and lifecycle
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally, Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Hands-on, process-oriented, structured thinker with strong problem-solving capabilities
- Client service mindset - obsessed with client and squad happiness
- This role owns the modal cost P&L, ensuring that we grow responsibly and continue to eliminate waste from the supply chain and account for all our costs. This role, on a daily, weekly and monthly basis is responsible for the overall health of their teams, ensuring that we foster a culture of high performing teams.
- Must be an operator by heart - loves processes, re-engineering, desire to eliminate non value added functions, frugality
- Lead Weekly and Monthly Business reviews on the health of the region against cost and performance service level metrics
- Must live in country
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
- Account Management
- Flexport 飞协博生态系统
- United States
More About Flexport